Monday, January 19, 2009

Suburban Simplicity

Apparently there's an old Japanese saying that goes:

My barn having burned
to the ground.

I could see the moon.

There is and there also isn't a thought provoking metaphor in these 12 words though each reading makes clear a reflection that is more than reflection.

The non metaphor seems to be: Barns, built by humans to contain their possessions and to contain that which allows us to accumulate possessions, get in the way of seeing the light that shines in the dark.

The metaphor might be: Your crap collection, material and otherwise, is big and it's limiting your sense of the world, your sense of self and the integrity that binds you. Trust that when the crap is cleared, in its place will be greatness and light. F-R-E-E greatness and light!

I haven't a barn but I do have crap. Crap as sentimentality, crap as items "just in case," crap as guilt, crap as insecurity, crap as "dreams deferred," and crap that with a makeover might someday, in the right light, possibly be non-crap.

This is my endeavor to, pardon the pun, burn that sh**.

I've decided to create a dedicated space for my journey toward a version of voluntary simplicity. The barn I need to burn was built from years of poor choice making, desperation, rationalization, greed, envy and guilt.

I have long pursued living the life that would leave "nothing left over." I am aware of some of my obstacles but others remain elusive. I hope that by documenting this "burning," I'll see not only what I couldn't before but release some of the burdens that have kept me from being free.

Next post: The Facts

3 comments:

  1. "The barn I need to burn was built from years of poor choice making, desperation, rationalization, greed, envy and guilt."

    Wow, this statement resonates with me. I have been on a voluntary simplicity journey for about two year or so...I have a long way to go but I have come so far. I have come so very, very far.
    I wish you could visit us and see where we live...I find that inspiring on it's own. The stars and moonlight are so bright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where exactly are you? We'll be in the east hopefully come spring. Maybe my visit could be considered "field word" Haha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are just outside of Charlottesville...in the country. You can do all the field work you want and I'll hold your babies. :)

    ReplyDelete