Sunday, April 3, 2011

Determining Values: How vigilant to be?

Lately, I've found myself working more on identifying my values and trying to streamline life in accordance to them. The trouble spots I am encountering involve my kids and their things and my kids' apparent values as well as in the area of my photography business.

As for my kids: their values and mine don't always seem to jive and negotiating them is something I'm unsure of how to do. To head off potential conflict of values, I'm considering instituting a 100 personal items/person rule so everyone can choose what to keep in their space based on whatever they deem their values to be. So far, I'm not getting much support on this initiative. Bill thinks the house is simplified enough as it is and that 100 items/person might create an austerity that's undesirable. I think it might be amazing the freedom we could have if we pursued and were vigilant about having 100 items/person.

As I contemplate values and priorities for myself, my family and my business, some of the keywords that keep coming up in this area are: access, clarity, beauty, compassion, love, health, contribution and joy. I've further identified these areas as valuable: well-being, family, friendship, art and nature.

Along this line of sharing values, I have been wondering how much of myself to share with potential business clients. I think the work environment for like minded individuals might lend itself to easy breezy and fun photo sessions. I would, however, hate to restrict myself from clients who might have different, say, environmental views but have similar aesthetic views. It's something I'm trying to work out as I move forward professionally.

For now, I will daydream about how cool it might be to have 100 items/person in this house and how it might be to be completely open with my values with everyone I encounter.

1 comment:

  1. Good careful thoughtful living you have! I'm single, so it isn't as close in for me. It's easier for me to allow everyone to want more or less, until it spills over on me (which isn't often). I have noticed, however, that in terms of children and how they grow up: things that were restricted when living at home often become excessive desires (i.e. they might buy millions of things later on). It is the nature of the push and pull. My clearest example: I could watch all the TV I wanted (no soap operas, tho) as a child. In grad school, I easily gave up TV (still don't watch). But friends who had restricted viewing times watched so much that some of them became major TV scholars. So... it's anybody's guess.

    ReplyDelete