Sunday, March 15, 2009

Status Update

Right now, I am focused on the physical aspects of my "barn." I've
been honing my ability to properly simplify my space for almost 3
decades. I understand that the philosophical nature of this pursuit
is integral to sustaining simplicity as a lifestyle and I do feel that
both - the philosophical and the material - are truly within reach.
This feels like a big deal. I am sensing that certain obstacles which
have burdened me in the past are not simply being shoved aside or
prioritized down but rather that they are suspended happily somewhere
(though unheavily) in my mind.

The current purging tactics are to liberate items I didn't know I even
had as well as those I wouldn't want right now if I didn't have
them. Items such as airplane blankets (yes, that's plural), serving
tray, a million plastic Asian soup spoons (for when I had time to
dream up and make amuse-bouche), etc. I also keep reminding myself
what life might be like in 250 sq ft and try hard to purge accordingly.

My biggest hang up is saving various containers that COULD be useful
in organizing, schlepping stuff around, etc. I have an area that's
designed to allow me a limited amount of space for such things (I
can't quit cold turkey) but sometimes I make new piles that grow and
grow. This weekend I filled the recycle bins so containers are under
control again. I also loaded the 4 boxes and giant plastic bag of
stuff for goodwill into the car so the house feels cleaner but
certainly not done. We de plan a burning for the vernal equinox next
week so I am aiming to be closer to done by then. I plan to finally
print the photos I've been saving. With them I think I can do a basic
but visual feng shui of the home space.

Our space is getting easier to maintain as items finally truly find a
home. I can tell we're on track because I'm back to eagerly preparing
meals and wanting to venture out. While our meals are far from
elaborate they are incredibly more healthful than ever before.
Venturing out still inspires some anxiety but I feel more ready than
in times past, especially having identified what I want to feel when I
come home and working on the front end to achieve that feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I feel so good when I can use everything I own and get rid of everything I don't need or use.

    ReplyDelete