Sunday, September 12, 2010

Business Simplicity: Know Thyself & Perspective

Knowing one's strengths and limitations is paramount in any game being played but setting up a business requires an extra keen sensibility of such qualities. Ten or so years ago I tried to have a business but the most common of things kept getting in the way: money. It was a creative endeavor wherein I made stuff for sale and by commission. I did not like thinking in terms of profit and loss and therefore didn't. My partner was a stickler for such things and eventually we drove each other a little bonkers. After several emotional exchanges, we parted ways in this regard. We're married so we didn't part far.

We're older and, hopefully, wiser now so instead of focusing my time and energy on strictly generating and maintaining revenue, I concede to a partner who sees to those details. I get to see to every creative aspect of my business and he sees to the flow and balance of the details that he's talented at managing. Regular conversations to address how our "duties" are being carried out in relation to my overall grand scheme are integral.

Recognizing where each of our individual strengths lie affords us each opportunities to excel. Keeping tabs on the big picture on a daily basis is essential to maintaining perspective of the business's goals and productivity.

So what is the business and what is the grand scheme? Elaine Kessler Photography is the business and the grand scheme is to generate enough money to consistently and continuously "capture the love and energy of the good life." This is the beginning so as I get my feet wet I imagine that kinks will come more frequently before they go but as I've fielded 1 or 2 (kinks) so far, I am buckling up, with a smile, and getting ready for the ride.

1 comment:

  1. a friend and i were having a conversation about strengths and weaknesses. she said that in most other 1st world countries, people focus on their strengths and perfecting them. in america we focus on our weaknesses and trying to eliminate them. in alot of ways it makes more sense to focus on the strength. after all, you can't be good at what you just aren't good at:)

    very excited for you!

    ReplyDelete