Thursday, September 2, 2010

How to Simplify a Traditional Sit Down Dinner Party

We enjoy entertaining. We've had brunches, bonfires, small & large, in & outdoor dinner parties. We recently hosted a sit down dinner party that was a complete success. There were no stressors that caused unhappiness and all of the guests seemed truly to enjoy themselves. I applied the principles below and think the outcome was absolute perfection. Here is a little on how we made it happen:

1. Get the past out of the present & your future*: Don't plan on having a party that is like other parties you've had before. Understand that this endeavor is a unique one and make it unique in all the ways only you know how.

2. Give up looking good*: Have fun with the planning and execution of the event - don't forsake your personal sense of enjoyment for this cause.

3. Do the best you can with what you have: Create the menu from items you prepare well; use what you already have; and be original with what you don't.

4. Plan your Work & Work Your Plan*: Be prepared

5. Choose what works*

*(Principles courtesy of Landmark Education)

The Menu
7 homemade Northeast Thai (Issan) dishes - made from scratch. There are a myriad of cuisines I could have chosen but I chose what I feel I do well and love doing. I planned my work and worked my plan. I had a schedule for 2 days before the event to map out how & when I'd be prepping then ultimately cooking each dish. I divided the day of the event into 4 sections and then into hours to be sure I gave myself adequate time to make each dish fresh then to clean as I go. There is nothing more daunting to me than to have a kitchen full of dirty dishes as guests arrive so I clean as I go and eliminate that stressor altogether. As far as the leftovers, which there were plenty since I fail to understand portions for a group, I composted what could be composted and stored the rest of the food for lunches and dinners the following week.

The Home
We live in a modest home. While Bill recently became an Assistant VP at a major banking institution, he wasn't always an AVP. The home we live in once belonged to my parents - interestingly, my daughters sleep in the room I slept in as a child. We bought the house for really cheap as a starter home and have since chosen to make it a "till retirement" home. It is a humble home in a humble neighborhood and I sometimes feel conflict that my environment doesn't adequately reflect my "station" in life. This is the area where I have to give up "looking good." I wouldn't choose this space and location, given our resources today but since we didn't always have these resources, I now choose this space because I love it and am tied to it in an intimate and amazing way. As one guest remarked - "It's a surprise inside!" That's the kind of sentiment that works for me!

The Seating & the "Silver"
Given the size of our home, 16 guests would not comfortably fit in one room. I appointed 2 tables for guests, one in the front room and one in the back. Guests were invited to switch up seating for dessert which made for a lot of laughter and fun. To reduce waste, we used the glasses, plates & bowls we owned then since there wasn't enough silver, we also used some plastic ware. I set the tables the day before and to eliminate confusion, I made place cards then reminded guests to switch around at dessert time. We normally use cloth napkins but not having enough and wanting some congruity on the table, we used large paper napkins. While I don't advocate regular use of such items due to the amount of waste that accumulates, every now and then an occasion sees fit to use some. We had a lot of dishes to wash afterward (we don't have a dishwasher) but organizing the work (and waiting till the next day) proved helpful to make quick work out of a large stack. Plus, not having pots and pans to clean in the mix made a big difference in how fast we got through the dinner party dishes.

Little Touches
Being creative with the food is one way to enjoy yourself. I personally liked creating a physical menu so everyone could see in Thai what the dish was called and how it was pronounced. I'm also a big fan of the "goodbye gift" - nothing too ornate this go around but in fitting with the theme, I made individual bags of banana chips that guests could take with them.

Oops
I forgot an item when I plated dessert. No one said anything and I noticed after everyone left. I was pretty bummed about it for the next couple of days and had to constantly remind myself that the incident was over and pondering it now just gets in the way of what new things I could be creating.

To reiterate - Giving up the past, giving up looking good, doing the best you can with what you have, planning your work & working your plan, and choosing what works are sure fire ways to have a dinner party that dazzles and delights you AND your guests!

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Elaine!! I loved this post :) I am so very on the same page as you are/were with your home. Is it an "American" thing? Perhaps a"female" thing...that even those of us who for the most part...don't care what thing look like on the outside bothered by how things appear to others? Morgan and I have some friend's who BOTH lost their jobs this past year. They are a couple. NO income for OVER a year. I am baffled by how they made it on only unemployment. Living with in our means is almost unheard of in America. It certainly does not seen to be the "American Way". None the less, this couple did it AND surprise~they seemed awfully happy and not uncomfortable. Bravo to you and your family. You continue to inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete