Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Designed Life

Early in this quest, I mistook simplicity for minimalism. While minimalism may be a form of simplicity, I've discovered that simplicity doesn't have to be minimalist. I've embraced a form of simplicity that has me live a life designed around what I love and not what I don't.

What do I love? I know that I love haphazardness in small doses. I love my family to pieces. I love beaches, big skies and the bustling array of blues they produce. I love the big picture but its details even more. I love conversation. I love food. I love a lot of forms of art.

In my designed life, I've endeavored to include as many of my loves as possible. At the present time, I'm sensing that my cup overflows - hence the 500 item purge. I want always to have space for what I love and I want always to have space to be more loving. Simplicity isn't about giving up what you don't want to but I do think it means surrounding yourself intentionally with what inspires you.


No comments:

Post a Comment