Thursday, July 15, 2010

Getting Crafty

We've been doing at least one craft every day this week. One of my goals of living simply includes accomplishing something creative every day. Getting the kids involved has been a lot of fun. I gave up being attached to what they actually produced and committed instead to the process of being creative. Releasing attachment to the outcome has made a tremendous difference in many areas of my life but in parenting, the difference is especially profound. For crafts, together, we made a diorama, star bead necklaces & bracelets, a banner, ornaments, decorated wooden dolls, and constructed a bird feeder. Normally, I would see most of these things as junky but I'm realizing that the path to creativity can't be fostered unless there's *some* lack of purpose. I can't design the outcome of every endeavor if I want the kids to have an amazingly creative experience. Surprisingly, the items don't register as junk but as products of love, care and thoughtfulness...for now, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment