Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Go To Foods

In our house, we have a few go to foods that pinch hit when times get busy. The most popular is the "smorgasbord" which often includes leftovers, cheeses, fresh vegetables, hummus, and fresh fruits. Another easy one is a bag of Bertolli's pasta to which I add 2-3 cups of frozen vegetables. Another one is soup and tuna with toast. A big help in the kitchen and one of my favorite cooking tools is the slow cooker. I try to use it once a week, often with chicken thighs, vegetables, honey, mustard, rosemary and spices. I absolutely love the way it fills the house with delicious aromas. The last major go to food is a Thai dish called laab which is made with ground meat - I use turkey. The turkey is sauteed in a pan then added to fresh cabbage & carrots dressed with a traditional Northeast Thai "sauce" using sugar, lime, red hot pepper flakes, garlic & fish sauce. Knowing my go to foods makes life easier to manage - there's rarely ever need to fret over what's for supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment